Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bitter Sweet


I have 3 more days left at the firm and I am filled with such conflicting emotions. Today, it dawned on me that it may be years before I head back to work again.

The primary reason to quit is because Tariq and I think the timing is perfect for some extended travel that we have always talked of doing. Also, being a working mom has been incredibly hard.

When I was pregnant with Isaac, I told myself that having a child would not (and should not) alter my career plans. The last 18 months was an emotional and physical tug of war. At times my mind was on a hamster wheel debating and justifying the dual roles.

I am still making peace with my decision - I am telling myself that my financial independence, the MBA and 8 yrs of work experience is a small trade-off for the larger role I will get to play in Isaac's life.

I am also hoping this year of adventure and travel will open my eyes to other possibilities.

PIC: Tariq shot this sunset picture in Northern Florida where he is cave diving this week.

1 comment:

Zarin Mohamed said...

Aquin, I have to admit that every time the blogger updates me on new your blogs, my eyes brighten! Your writing is very addictive...please please keep a journal of your travels when you guys are in Asia, and let us all read it! It would be such a pleasure to see that part of the world through your words. Keep it coming.